With February just around the corner and love filled soppy adverts, shops filled with chocolates, teddies and love hearts. Magazine articles on outfit ideas for that special night. We can’t help but either feel depressed and eyeing up a tub of giant ice cream screaming with calories whilst watching Bridget Jones diary singing all by myself or feel head over heels in love, gleaming with high hopes of that special day/night knowing someone is in love with you and i find that theres no in-between.
This will be my second valentines day with my boyfriend. Oh boy that feels good to say. The old me struggled to have at least one. Or find out that he’s been cheating, on valentines day, (of all days) Yep that last one is pretty crap. Through my teens i’ve had about 3 valentines, Two of which was when i was at school, the immature years of asking a boy out on msn and lasting about a week with one cinema date and a kiss on the cheek. And then there is this one, it’s pretty special. Yeah, i love my boyfriend and can’t wait for the many more to come, Every moment spend with him has been bliss.
But this post isn’t about me. I would like to dedicate this to all you single ladies. A little motivation to kick Februarys ass like the girl boss you are! Theres no need for crying or feeling shit. No really there isn’t. Being single doesn’t make you weak. It makes you independent and girl your’e on fire. You are your own women, you do what you want when you want. Thats not a bad thing. I once read that if being in a relationship you are not deeply happy in means being single then dam thats what i will be. It doesn’t have to be all this fairytale bullshit of meeting prince charming at the ball (Maybe nightclub) Or bumping into him at the park knocking your books out your hand and when you bend down to pick them up his hand touches yours, he looks at you with eyes filled of love. Que the slow music.. My ex once said to me, ‘Abbey you live in a fantasy world, fairytales aren’t real. It’s fiction’ Yep, maybe thats why it lasted about 9 months. But in a weird way he was right. We don’t live our life pretending to be someone we aren’t in a story that is purely make believe. Kind of gotta thank the kid for the harsh truth.
You know what the best type of love story is? One that you’ve created. Its based on your life and not someone else. And yes it’s not like the usual fairytale you’d read about but its yours. I met my boyfriend on tinder, a typical dating site. But it was perfect. I knew he was the one from the offset. We just clicked. And we’ve been happy ever since. He proposed in London at the hotel whilst we were settling down for the night. We had a few tears, in bed snuggled up talking about the future. He had planned to propose on the London eye but i kinda buggered that up by not wanting to go on it. It wasn’t what some would call perfect but to me and him it was. It’s our fairytale. I’m beginning to hate the word ‘fairytale’ Lets call it story of love. Thats corny too but lets role with it.
The point i’m making is don’t set your standards of the perfect love story so high that the reality is no guy is going to live up to ‘prince charming’ Love isn’t about gifts, money, looks etc. It’s about falling in love with someone for who they are, that connection between two people that is so strong nothing can break it.
We’re kind of getting off track now, this is about feeling fabulous on valentines day. Girl you got the best person to spend it with, yourself. You are loyal to yourself, you deserve a special night so heres what we’re gonna do.
- Buy yourself a gift, to you from you. You deserve it. Your’e put up with more crap then you realise. You’re strong and you deal with everyday challenges. So buy yourself an item of makeup, or clothing. I don’t know whatever will make you smile. Appreciating yourself is whats most important.
- You deserve chocolate too, Go to the shop and get some chocolate, ice cream or whatever it is you like. Being single doesn’t mean you can’t enjoy good food. In fact while your’e at it, pick up a bottle of wine and a yummy meal. I like the Tesco finest ready meals, they taste so good. Tonights about indulging yourself.
- Go out with friends, make time for those you love best. They aren’t lovers but you love them and appreciate them.
- Have a pamper night, do a few girly things to relax and indulge. Run a bath, do a face mask, paint your nails. You’ll thank me for it later.
- DO NOT WATCH BRIDGET JONES DIARY. Only joking, you can if you want too. But if it’s going to make you self loathe, cry and sing terribly with a glass of wine in your hand then i recommend maybe avoiding it. Watch a non romance film. Something funny which won’t make you cry.
- Remember who you are. You’re a beautiful person who is great in every way. Being single doesn’t change that. You are waiting the right time or simply do not give a shit! Either way it doesn’t define you. You boss at life girl!
So heres a toast to my single girls, enjoy your night. Have a good time indulging the most important person in your life. YOU!
Hugs and kisses
p.s i do not own these images